Monday, April 02, 2007

Hey Monkey Boy, Begging is so unattractive

The Marmoset is obsessed with cuddling. We've been chatting infrequently* for months, and it's always a topic of conversation. Promising that he wants nothing more than to lie close to another warm body, he's been trying to get me to cuddle with him since our first or second conversation. While I have to admit I've entertained the idea for a few less-than-lucid moments here and there, I've always declined.

Something about the whole situation just hasn't felt right to me. The photo the boy sent me oh-so-many months ago depicts a really cute guy. I mean, he's not smoking hot, make-you-weak-in-the-knees gorgeous, but he definitely could turn some heads and, at the very least, looks pretty cuddle-worthy. What's the problem with that, you ask? Well, if a boy that cute is actively seeking a girl with whom he can cuddle (and promising there's nothing more to it), why hasn't he found one in all these months? Why's he still hitting me up? Seems like an attractive guy with purely innocent intentions could find a girl somewhere in the vicinity who's just as much in need of a cuddle as he is. So I'm thinking there must be something wrong with him. Right?

The other day when I signed into the nearly defunct gmail account Marmoset uses to message me, he said hi immediately. We hadn't talked since I cut NRA, so I filled him in with the necessary details when the subject arose. He immediately brought up the cuddling and started touting the finer points of spooning. "We're meant to cuddle." "It's such a comfort." "I need to spoon and relax." "There's nothing like feeling each other's warmth and soft skin." And on and on.**

I was chatting with Travel Buddy at the same time, and I mentioned to him the cuddle-consumed guy in the other window. When I told him I thought the obsession was a bit strange, Travel Buddy asked why and said there's nothing wrong with a cuddle. Always easily swayed by suggestion, I thought perhaps he was right. After all, what's the harm in a carefree cuddle with a cute boy?

As soon as I started to entertain the idea, Marmoset swept in with the demands. It had to be that night. He really needed it. I had to say yes. The demands made me back off a bit, so he changed tactics. Suddenly, he was making promises. He would only stay for a short while. He'd leave as soon as he relaxed so I could get some sleep. The promises quickly degenerated into begging. Please! He really needed it. Please, please, please!

When the begging commenced, it didn't take long for him to go from a cute boy with cuddle potential to a lout with who-knows-what kind of intentions. I suddenly remembered my cute-boy-without-a-cuddle-buddy equals creepy-stalker-type-guy-you-should-avoid theory, and I booked it out of that chat session with a quickness.




* When I started dating NRA, communication with Marmoset became more and more sporadic until it all but ceased.
** Meanwhile, I'm countering him at every turn. "I don't sleep well with others." "How am I to rest if I'm busy comforting you?" "It's too hot to cuddle." "Are you a serial killer?"

2 comments:

Aileen said...

Your absolutely right Belle. Nothing wrong with cuddling, but obsessing over it? Mentioning it again and again? It's just weird...

And- I used to have a bf that used the word "cuddle" a lot. I hated it. Something about the way it sounded seemed a bit wimpy to me.

Pissed Off said...

I have to agree as well. I mean, who would a cute boy be so adamant about someone cuddling with him. That is the worng way to go about getting cuddled!!!