Monday, April 23, 2007

On hiatus, indefinitely

When I was but a wee lass, I began collecting masks of all shapes and sizes. Hundreds of them adorned the walls of my room, and they were as important to me as inanimate objects can be to pre-pubescent young girls. My first research paper, "Clowns, Masks, and Mardi Gras," was inspired by my collection. (Fifth grade. 20 pages. Public school, Bitches.)

Then, one day, I was over it. I sold all my masks, and I never looked back.

That tendency within me is still strong. I abandon most things right about the time they start getting interesting. The masks. That "underground" comic in sixth grade. The poetry (thank FSM). The acting. The lj. The xanga. That column I started. The painting. The knitting.

What I began here will be no different. Perhaps I'll return one day, but I'm making no promises. I started this blog when I was still more entertained than disenchanted by my exploits in Internet dating. It was fun while it was, but it's something else now. And it's not what I'm looking for at the moment. I'm not sure exactly what I am seeking, but I know it doesn't involve computer monitors or guys (tangible or not).

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's too bad, I enjoyed reading your blog. It made me laugh and you write very well. But I hope that whatever you direct your attention to brings you happiness and joy.

LMNt said...

This is not cool.

Jaded & disillusioned make for good blogs, too.

Belle said...

Anon: Thanks! I might be back... we'll see.

LMNT: I could say the same to you... ;-) I really enjoy blogging, but it's becoming the thing that defines my life, and that is definitely not cool. Perhaps I'll be able to find a balance and get back to it.

LMNt said...

But I'm coming back tomorrow or Thursday. You're "indefinite."

Punk!

Belle said...

LMNT:
1. I'm glad you'll be back this week. :)
2. Indefinite is just that... How do you know I won't beat you back?

Pissed Off said...

You will be missed, make sure you still find time to read up on me...... not like I don't talk to you everyday, and should i refrain from mentioning I will be closer to you in 2 weeks? I think not!!!

I-66 said...

Great. So I just find you and you're leaving.

LMNt said...

I beat you to "back."

I believe this means you owe me a beer. ;-)

Anonymous said...

what??
motion denied!
get back to typing, munchkin...


:(

Jamy said...

I'll miss you. Don't date for the blog--just tell us other stories!

pnwraindog said...

Doh. I've been reading your blog for the last month and really enjoy it along with your pithy sense of humor about dating.

Thanks for sharing what you have and hopefully there will be more down the road...

Belle said...

Pissed: You know I'll keep up with you, Girl!

i-66: Oh, erm, sorry about calling you a Bastard... It was absolutely nothing personal! I'm sure you're a lovely person. :)

lmnt: Only if it's a beer of which I approve. ;-)

quick: My fingers need a break! And I'm not a freakin' munchkin!

Jamy: Thanks! I'm thinking I might do just that...

Rick: Thanks for reading, and I'm glad you enjoyed!

M@ said...

I've always wanted to attend one of those black-tie "Bonfire of the Vanities" cocktail parties where guests where hand-held masks.

M@ said...

What is going on!?

You are the THIRD blogger I know to retire this morning. WTF?

Belle said...

Matt: I went to a masquerade this year for the first time. Maybe it was just the crowd, or maybe it was my lousy attitude, but it wasn't all I'd hoped for.

And, I'm missing blogging too much already. I'm thinking I'll be back Monday. Shhhhh... ;-)