Friday, April 06, 2007

The Penny Pincher: Not just for classifieds anymore

A good friend, Go-Go Girl, has been out several times with a guy we'll call The Penny Pincher. Not 20 minutes into their first date, he asked how much she pulls in annually. When Go-Go told me this, my jaw dropped. I couldn't believe the audacity of this dude! I wouldn't even ask my friends their salaries, much less someone I'd just begun dating. Go-Go said she'd raised her eyebrow at the question (and declined to disclose the info), but that she really didn't think he'd meant anything by it because it made sense in the conversation they were having. Yielding to her judgment, I let the subject drop.


They've been out several times since then, I assume going Dutch each time.* Go-Go mentioned on at least one occasion that Penny Pincher is extremely conscientious about expenditures, even going so far as to call him thrifty,** but I'd nearly forgotten about his first faux pas. The boy is engaging and attractive and sometimes makes Go-Go glow, so he was racking up points in my super-secret spreadsheet rundown.

When I inquired about their most recent outing, Go-Go disclosed some information that took Penny Pincher's spreadsheet balance deep into the red. While she told me the day was lovely in nearly every way, there was one major downside. Let me preface with this: Go-Go is not a wealthy person. She's not struggling financially, but she hauls her caring soul to a non-profit every work day and brings home what you'd imagine someone working*** at such an establishment would make.

So the two spent the day together, participating in various free activities before deciding to get a bite to eat. Go-Go Girl ordered a burger and water (for a grand pre-tax/pre-tip total of about $8). Penny Pincher ordered a seafood platter (about $16) and two beers (about $10). The two split an appetizer (about $8). When the waiter brought the bill, the two continued talking, each putting a card on the table. When the waiter picked up the check and cards, Penny Pincher told him to split it. In Half. So Go-Go Girl ended up paying about $25 (with tax and tip) for a meal that should've cost her around $15 total. Penny Pincher never missed a beat.

When Go-Go told me this (and after I balked at her not chiming in to clarify what she would be paying), I pointed out that there's no way Penny Pincher didn't notice she'd essentially paid for a quarter of his meal, one of his beers, and the tip and tax on both. From what she'd told me, he's much too conscientious about money in general to have let something like that go unnoticed. She agreed that there's little chance it was oversight on his part.

Charming behavior, indeed. But wait, there's more! The two decided to go back to her place after dinner for ice cream and a movie. Penny Pincher didn't even feign a reach toward his wallet when it came time to pony up for either, so Go-Go ended up paying for the rental and the snacks, too.

I'll throw the guy one bone.**** Until relatively recently, he'd been living on his savings while looking for a job. I've been there myself (minus the savings), and I know what a strain it can be to get yourself out of the hole when you first start working. Thing is, though, I wasn't going out on dates while I was financially strapped. I'd argue that, as a female, it is more socially acceptable (historically anyway) for me to let or even expect***** a guy to pay than vice versa.

Note: I am not saying this guy had an obligation to pay for Go-Go's meal or her portion of any other part of their date. But it doesn't sit well with me that he's so comfortable letting her pick up the tab, especially this early on. Perhaps she set the standard on their first date when she paid for his drink. Perhaps he's just a miserly mooch who wants to protect his pennies in any way possible. Either way, it doesn’t bode well for his behavior to come.

I'm waiting until their next date to see if Penny Pincher offers any sort of redemption (which would likely consist of at least picking up the tab next time, or it wouldn't count in his favor on the spreadsheet). If he doesn't, I'm going to have to start my "Drop Penny Pincher" petition.

Or I could just sit the lad down and have a nice heart-to-heart with him. Perhaps he’s under some misguided direction. Hear that, Go-Go? What do you think?


* The assumption is based on the fact that Go-Go Girl actually feels bad if a date pays for her part. It also excludes her first date with Penny Pincher. Having several gift cards for the joint and being much too benevolent, Go-Go offered to pay for Penny Pincher's coffee on this outing. The boy did not decline. As far as I know, he didn’t reciprocate the action on subsequent dates either.
** I would've opted for "tight" or perhaps a more colorful adjective, but that's just me.
*** Not, of course, if you're imagining someone like Lawrence Small. Think more along the lines of her bringing home a just a portion of the 48 grand that pair of chairs cost the SOB.
**** But I'm going to revoke it immediately. It's just not my style to give anyone a real chance in this forum.
***** I don't expect guys to pay for me on dates. I usually split the tab or pay for at least part of a date. If a guy is insistent, I've given up on fighting, but I always at least offer. Sincerely.

9 comments:

Pissed Off said...

I must say that The hamburger/seafood platter incident didn't sit well with me. When I saw that, I was astonished. I mean, why did he say to split in half? that is rude, uncalled for, and she shouold NOT go out with him again. Then to top it off with the movie and snacks...... NO WAY, the guy sounds like a shmuck to me.

HomeImprovementNinja said...

Hmmm. I have a couple (meaning 3) of thoughts on this.

1) A relationship should be about give and take. I was complaining to a friend recently that I had been on several dates with a girl who never offerred to help with the check. I wouldn't have let her pay (because I'm old fashioned), but it would've been nice if she pretended to reach for the check so that I can look like the nice guy that I am, instead of it being expected. A girl blogger who's now retired was shocked that she didn't at least make a motion for the check after the 3rd date. Anyway, there is no way to correct this except for breaking up. I can't say "how come you never offer to pay for dinner?" Because then she will offer, and I'll say "no, I got it...don't be silly" and I'll look like the crazy one.

2) my second thought is that this guy isn't thrifty, he's cheap. He wasn't being cautious, he was taking advantage of her and hoping she wouldn't notice. He was trying to get over on her for what? $10? Tool! I think if someone is willing to be tempted into something devious for something as minor as $10, then that doesn't say a lot about his character. Jus' sayin'

3) It's odd that society has changed in such a way as to make frugality unattractive. It used to be the opposite. Overconsumption was seen as a bad thing. In the Catholic tradition, Gluttony was one of the seven deadly sins. In the Taoist tradition, frugality was one of the 3 virtues that all people in the way should practice (the others were compassion and humility).

Belle said...

Pissed: Yep.

Ninja: Good points, all. The last guy I dated insisted on paying for everything all the time. Before we went out the first time, he told me not to bother trying to pay. I didn't that time or the next couple times we went out, but I eventually had to put my foot down. I have an income, probably one comparable to his (we dated for three months, and, no, I never knew his salary), and it just wasn't fair for him to continue paying for everything. It was sweet and all, but I woould've felt like I was taking advantage of him if I'd let him keep it up every single date.

As for the girl who hasn't offered to pay... eesh! She could at least put up a little front!

Anonymous said...

So is there any hope for this boy? Because in every other regard- he's cute and thoughtful and hilarious and smart and generous and fun... He is a little clueless and inexperienced as far as dating goes- but then the stuff he's pulled go more towards how he treats people than his dating experience. Oh, and as Belle pointed out- he doesn't hold doors for girls- even after being called on it. But- I like him a lot- is there any hope?

Belle said...

Go-Go: I don't think I even went into the whole door thing here, but yeah! What a punk. Laziness is a way less acceptable excuse than not being a Southern boy. He should've just left it alone.

I wouldn't boycott you if you saw him again, but he's got making up to do! His spreadsheet is looking really sad.

Anonymous said...

“Go-go Girl”--You should tell “Penny Pincher” how it is. “Listen up sucker….” Or if you have a big gorilla for a brother or sister—threaten the little mooch with that. “Don’t make me have to call my sister Bubba to go Donkey Kong upside yo’ head.” If that doesn’t work and you really like the guy other than him being a mooch then you should actually give the dude another chance but like you have to do with a puppy—you got to stick his nose in his own poo in order for him to learn. You have to say right then and there when it happens again at a restaurant—“Hey, I’m not a millionaire and I like you and all but I am on a budget and you ain’t in my budget so we got a problem.” You got to go Barney Fife on him and “nip it in the bud.” And if it happens in the movie store or grocery store, let him pick up the movie or ice cream and carry it to the counter. Then the cashier will be looking for money from him. Don’t reach for your wallet. If you have to wait a little while and if the stand off isn’t going anywhere leave his sorry self there. Bottom line is you got to talk to him about it. Thats the best way to solve problems.

Belle said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I would like to associate myself with Mr or Ms Lightning's comments.
Except that I believe that Go-Go should be more proactive about raising the issue.
Waiting for him to pick up the item, and walk it to the register may come off as a little passive aggressive.

Belle said...

Quick:
"I believe that Go-Go should be more proactive about raising the issue."

Um... this from the guy who dated the girl for three months who never did ONE slow reach??? Even the time you left your wallet in the car???

Ummm... I'm going to guess you're giving this advice because you're so much wiser through experience, right? Right? ;-)