Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Vagabond Vance: Getting into the Game


Glistening a bit and slightly out of breath from general hustle and outdoor exertion, I pushed through the revolving doors of our designated meeting place. Scanning the sparsely populous room, I zeroed in on the lone guy reading a book and headed his way.


Vagabond Vance was actually better looking in person than in his pictures. (I had to bite my tongue on mentioning that one.) He'd invited me out for coffee, but we ended up ordering dinner and chatting about random things.


I'm not sure how VV perceived the date. He's been out of the game for quite some time. Well, actually, he never really was in the game. Until about three months ago, he told me, he'd been with the same woman for more than a decade. Currently separated, the divorce is in the works.


While I had a perfectly pleasant time with him, I thought we had ventured into more friendly, less romantic territory by the end of the evening. (That's what happens when you start talking about other dating scenarios on a first date...)


Anyhow, we parted ways with a less-than-satisfying hug*. Vagabond Vance said he'd had a great time, but he didn't ask me out again.


He followed up via email bright and early the next morning to say he'd had fun and hoped to see me again and mentioning something we could do together.
Ms. Lu advocates date two, so I'll accept and we'll see where it goes from there.

FYI, we've got an updated Mantris Graph here... Boy Blue and Vagabond Vance now both officially qualify as Quarter Men. (Stay tuned for the addition of Bachelor #3.)


* I really, really like hugs. Long-lasting, tight-gripped hugs that envelop you. And this hulking guy had exactly the right frame for that kind of hugging. But he didn't really deliver. Sad for me. I need more hugs in my life.

2 comments:

Jamie said...

I'd stay far away. First, he's married. That should be enough right there. Second, he's three months out of a 10-year relationship? That's not even enough time for him to have a proper rebound, much less something real. I wouldn't waste your time unless you just want to have a fling.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Jamie, though for slightly different reasons. If you don't have butterflies at the end of a date, they rarely appear later. As for the married thing, I started dating around the same time after separating from my ex-wife many years ago. Though I was still mourning the loss of a marriage, the relationship had been over for a long time. I consider the former point a RED flag, and the latter a bright yellow.