Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Dude, He's Way More Into You Than I Am


On the day of my second outing with The Butler, I was blessed/cursed with a yay-there'll-be-no-bastard-Belle-
spawn-in-the-forseeable-future/ holy-shit-can't-I-just-rip-out-my-fucking-uterus reminder of my womanhood.

With the unusually rough day and my impending date, I felt I had two options:
1. Try to deal with the pain and risk doubling over and/or writhing on the floor every few minutes, or
2. Take a hefty dose of my self-prescribed herbal cramps remedy and hope I didn't laugh like a hyena at The Butler's jokes.

After an excruciating commute home, I chose the latter option. Now, I normally wouldn't partake in such activities before a date, but my monthly visitor was being exceedingly vicious this time 'round. So I proceeded with the partaking before dashing out to meet my date.


He chose the place and met me; I drove. We spent the better part of the evening throwing random movie quotes back and forth and laughing about nothing and everything. (My laughter might've come a little more freely with the whole herbal factor, but, hey, he seemed into it...)

When our waiter (let's call him Edward) came 'round to take our order, I noticed he paid a bit more attention to my date than he did to me. As the night progressed, good ol' Edward's trips to our table grew more frequent and longer, and his obvious disdain for my presence grew exponentially. (At one point, he even turned his back to me completely, effectively shutting me out of the conversation he was having with, ummmm...
my date.)

Perhaps my cure-all had a bit to do with my attitude about the situation, but I actually found it amusing that Edward was joking with and chatting up my seemingly-oblivious date in obviously flirtatious ways.

As our meal drew to an end, I started hoping I could steal a moment for a little chat with Eddie-boy. The potential conversation running through my head went something like this:


Belle: Hey, it's Edward, right?
Edward:
<raises scornful eyebrow> Yesssssssssssssssss...
Belle:
Listen, Edward, there's no good way to ask this, so I'm just going to throw it out there... Do you think my date is gay? I mean, if you do, just tell me. My gaydar's been on the fritz, and I really don't want to go down that road...
Edward:
<looks down in pity> Oh, honey.... that boy's queer as a three-dollar bill.
Belle:
Thanks, Edward. That's all I needed to know. You know, even though you've been flirting with my date all night, I think you're good people.
Edward:
No problem. So... Since you're not going to date him... do you think I could get his number???

Alas and alack, it wasn't meant to be. The Butler never made a trip to the little boys' room or otherwise excused himself from my presence. And when I went to powder my nose, Edwardo made a B-line for The Butler in all his momentary table-of-one glory.

When our attempted departure warranted Edward starting (and maintaining) a 15-minute conversation about essentially nothing, I concluded that he was
waaaaaay more into my date than I was. (I mean, at that point, his tip was already on the table, and he was quite obviously grasping at straws just to keep The Butler in his presence.)

When I got home, I tried calling the restaurant to have that afore-mentioned freeing conversation with Edward. The guy who answered the phone informed me I'd just missed him, and I felt my chances for the heart-to-heart dashed.






4 comments:

Jamie said...

That is awesome! I mean, for me to read about. Maybe not so much for you to endure.

My gaydar is horrible. I was once waiting at the bar (for a first date) and talked to a random guy for a half-hour before she showed up. When my date showed up he gave me his card and asked me out to dinner. The girl and I ended up dating for 4 months...

DC to be DB said...

Belle..
two things..
1.. was every woman in the DC area on the rag or what????? I so feel your pain, and more so the partking to deal with it.
2... me love you long time

*** ******** said...

of course the gay waiter said he was gay...gay guys have spent hours attempting to tell me that i'm gay....and i've had the whole "waiter is into me more than just serving our table" bit as well.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.