Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Should I Be This Scared?

I've found myself flying pretty much solo at several social events in the past two weeks. Well, three, to be exact.

At the first*, a happy hour, I met a few people (4). I talked easily to the first soon after entering the bar. The others I met a little later. Two of them said they would offer their expertise in the apartment hunt (so far, one has). The last vowed to join me and a new associate in an upcoming social endeavor. I've yet to call. (But I will! I will!)

I was invited to the second event by one of the hosts**. I knew no one save this host, and, being that he was a host, I didn't expect constant entertainment. My feelings on the event are mixed. I met a (small) handful of pretty cool people (again, 4), but the majority of the guests did not seem to be people I'd ever get along with. After a few good hours with the few cool people, I found myself pretty much alone with the not-so-cool people while waiting for a ride. The night actually ended with me feeling very much like a junior high reject with acne, bad breath, and head gear. Perhaps I digress...

The third event was completely random.


Opposed to spending yet another Friday night entertaining Roommate's parents while she was off on date*** and semi****-stood-up by my partner in crime for the evening, I headed to the bar solo.


I've been to this bar a few times before with Quicksylver. The first night we went was our waitress's first night as well. We'll call her Saronno. Despite Quicksylver's initial insistence that she was just being nice to get tips, we hit it off really well and have since talked about hanging out together.


Anyhow, Saronno was at the bar when I showed up Friday, but she wasn't working. She invited me to a small get-together she was planning to hit up before heading to a bigger, swankier party later on. I accepted her invitation.


She and I were the first to arrive. I kicked a little ass on the Wii***** then we moved on to the beer pong. (At which I also kicked more than my fair share of ass, if I do say so myself.) Saronno left, and I was totally fine. Got along with everyone there. Had a fantastic time. Hope to see all the players of the night again in a similar setting.


Before I accepted Saronno's invitation, though, I was prepared to call myself socially awkward. I'd even begun a post describing myself as such and outlining all the ways in which I'd changed that made me feel like I was the social reject.


But, now? I'm not thinking so much in terms of my morphing into a socially awkward woman in her mid twenties as I am thinking of me fucking putting myself out there. Trying to meet new people. Failing at times, perhaps. Succeeding at others, perhaps.


Attending social events and trying to meet people on your own is a scary proposition.


I really have nothing more profound to say on the subject.



*
I have to admit, I primarily went to see a boy. The boy was not there. The boy does not yet get a name.
** The host is the aforementioned boy. H
e still doesn't get a name.
***
Both completely okay by me, by the way.
**** "Semi" because I don't really blame him.
***** I'm saying right now I'd be totally addicted if given the opportunity. That shit rocks. And, no, spending $400-500 on that shit is not an option for opportunity for this chica.


5 comments:

vvk said...

I don't think there is anything out of the ordinary here. Everyone feels awkward when they're venturing out on their own socially... But sometimes you just let loose and have a good night socially.

I'm generally fairly awkward... I'm good with people I know, but not with those I don't know.

Kristin said...

Congrats on the big, socially suave weekend. Very nice.

Jamy said...

What's the problem? You're doing great, meeting people and being downright courageous!

I was just out at a bar myself last night...one beer, a chat with a couple of people sitting near me and then home.

Social is good, though it can be hard.

The Brooklyn Boy said...

Wii and beer pong! That's every Wednesday for me. It is an outstanding combination. This is hereby deemed a mandatory event in the recently scheduled Brooklyn Boy/INPY home-and-home series, for which you're officially invited to participate. Officially.

Also, cheers to taking the plunge. I've spent basically my entire life since senior year of high school as that guy who says, "Fuck it," and goes along with some random situation. Last night, it resulted in drinking and smoking with a group of people that included two girls on 'shrooms. You hit some clunkers along the way, but you get great stories and meet a few keepers you'd never encounter otherwise.

Anonymous said...

Wow. I find this kind of inspiring actually. I'm as outgoing as can be, but only when I have a safety net. Good for you for flying solo and having a good time doing it.