Monday, June 25, 2007

Once and For All: The Serial Killer

Even when I agreed to meet him with that "Oh, sure, maybe sometime..." that's so easy on the Internet, I wasn't exactly excited by the idea. Citing a general disdain for the dating world in general, I'd deleted my online profile and backed out of other dates for the same week, but I couldn't find a defensible reason to cancel with him when I found an actual meeting fast-approaching.

I agreed to meet him at Starbucks, and we had a tentative plan for a movie following that, if we were both so inclined. By the time the day arrived, I was downright opposed to going. Again, though, finding no justifiable excuse, I resigned myself to fulfilling my obligation.

Shit. I'm supposed to meet him in 10 minutes. It's too late to back out now. Shit, shit, shit.

As I was gathering my things to walk out the door, he called to confirm the agreed-upon meeting place. His voice made me shudder. I went back inside to make sure I'd left Roommate all the pertinent details regarding him and our date. Before laying eyes on the guy, I knew I'd already discovered his epithet: The Serial Killer.

In person, Serial Killer was very nice. Had a bit of a stutter. Was seriously, seriously obsessed with music. But completely amicable. Jebus, self, I thought. Get yourself together. This guy is way too nice to be a serial killer.

Um, Ted Bundy, anyone?

When we finished our drinks, we drove (separately) to a theater and bought tickets to a movie of his choosing.[1] We had a beer or two while waiting for the film to start. It was here that Serial Killer told me he sometimes attends one of the few goth nights in D.C. clubs and suggested I join him sometime. Glancing down at my brightly-colored top and newly-pink-for-spring toenails, I told him I didn't think it would be my scene.

After the movie, in the dimly-lit parking lot of the theater, he asked if I would like to see him again. Noting my surroundings, I agreed, and we parted ways. I drove behind him until I got caught by a light. Initially relieved at the distance this put between us, after a short while I became more than a little paranoid that he was somehow suddenly behind me. I actually drove out of my way to ensure that no one was following me before I went home.

For our next date, he suggested hanging out at his place or mine. Still not comfortable with the idea of him having my address, I agreed to go to him. I arrived on time and walked into his sparsely-furnished apartment not long after he'd returned from helping with a Habitat house. Jebus, self, I thought as I listened to him excitedly describe his day of volunteering, give this guy a break. It must just be his voice that creeps you out. He can't help having a creepy voice. What kind of serial killer contributes to his community like that?

Um, John Wayne Gacy, anyone?

After we discussed our days, Serial Killer handed me a stack of DVDs. I pulled out several I hadn't seen, and, of those, he recommended Kids.

-- <rant>Wait a second. Kids? Of the 60 or so movies in your possession, you recommend, for viewing on your second date, one that involves a bunch of teenagers and pre-teens passing HIV to one another like it's a pack of Skittles or something? Two for two with the bad [2] movie selections, buddy. Two for Two. </rant>--

After that painful hour and a half, I suggested we go grab some sushi. I offered to drive, already devising my escape plan before we rose from his uncomfortable futon.

The sushi was delicious, and the conversation was, remarkably, fairly light and fun. Despite a relatively early hour, I announced I was tired when I dropped him off and avoided a kiss by throwing my hand up between us in an awkward little-kid kind of wave before heading home.

For date three (yes, there was a date three...), Serial Killer suggested a couple of other movies, both of which were sequels and neither of which held any interest for me. I countered with the suggestion we go see Bodies, which ended up being awesome (despite his somewhat inappropriate comments about genitalia throughout the exhibition).

After we viewed enough bodies and I held a human heart and brain (he declined. Fancy that), he mentioned being hungry (fancy that), and we ended up in Old Town for a bite to eat and a stroll along the waterfront. The evening was nice, and we hung out for a bit before I dropped him at the Metro and headed home (less worried this time that he was secretly following me).

That was something like a month ago now. He's been asking for another date, and I've successfully avoided agreeing because I've been legitimately busy with a variety of things. The next two weekends have pretty much already taken care of themselves in terms of my not being available.

Before I wrote this (and poured obsessively over the serial killer articles on Wiki pretty much all day today), I thought I was being too hard on the guy. Obviously, no. Something about him creeps me out, and even if it is more pronounced when I'm not around him, there's really no reason for me to keep subjecting myself to the agony that precedes these meetings.

My conundrum is this: What can I say to a guy who seriously creeps me out that will let him know once and for all that I am not interested in dating him without making him stalk me out and really earn his sobriquet?


[1] The fact that he picked a movie this terrible is somehow more disturbing to me than the fact that he picked a movie about a serial killer. I'm not sure what that says about me, really. [Up]
[2] That's not to say I think Kids was a bad movie. It's just not a good date movie. [Up]

14 comments:

Pissed Off said...

i would tell him that your mommy said no.... the one that doesn't recognize your voice... OR, tell him to make you not recognize his?!?!?

The Brooklyn Boy said...

Yeah ... it sounds like you need to cut bait. I feel like you've been exceptionally patient already, despite misgivings from the jump. Kids on date two was certainly an ... interesting choice.

I say just drop it the way you would any other situation and don't think twice. If he's really gonna earn the nickname, how you end it isn't going to matter.

... That sounds way less reassuring than I'd hoped ...

Brie said...

Maybe you can just be (carefully) honest and say that you aren't feeling the chemistry with him that you think you should to keep seeing him.

Or you can do the I'm busy/I've been hurt too much/I don't have time to date right now thing. Guys sure don't seem to mind doing that. :-)

Jamy said...

The best "thanks, but no thanks" line is "I don't think we're suited romantically." Just don't add that you want to be friends. It's relatively kind, it's true and leaves no room for doubt.

vvk said...

On a completely unrelated note:
http://www.scaryideas.com/print/2843/

Anonymous said...

Be honest, tell him he is not really your type.
Why though when you did not feel comfortable with him on the first date did you agree to two more dates??
Second date, you went to his place?
Brave girl.
Next time sweetheart listen to that inner voice and trust the force Luke. Or in other words if it does not feel right then get the hell out.

Anonymous said...

oh wow. definitely trust your instincts on this one. but be careful how you break the news to him. if in fact he IS a serial killer ... you don't want to piss him off. tell him you are seeing someone else and it's getting serious. or - you just aren't interested in dating right now...

Belle said...

pissed: I don't think he could disguise that voice if he tried. Actually, it kind of sounds like one of those voice distortion things already. *shudder*

bb: "Interesting" is one way to describe it. Another might be "ill-advised." I mean, there's really no chance of putting the moves on someone after watching that, is there? Thanks for the reassuring words. Wait... ;-)

miss b: All of those things are true, but I think your first suggestion is the most useful in this situation.

jamy: I think you're right on with this one. Now all I have to do is muster the courage to just say it and get it over with.

vvk: Lol. Thanks for that! Now I'll be imagining SK wearing a Belle suit all day. Nice.

h: If only I were seeing someone else! I'm completely incapable of lying, have no poker face (or voice) and really think he'd be more offended by that than intended. The latter part is pretty true, but I think that might leave some hope for the future on his part. Whatever I end up telling him, I will definitely proceed with caution.

Kristin said...

Just jumping on the band wagon here: Go with your gut. Stressing cannot be fun and what's the point of dating a guy who stresses you out, for whatever reason?

M@ said...

If it's not there, it's not there.

Anonymous said...

First of all, from my experience, always listen to your instincts regardless of the situation. Just listen to your gut.

Secondly, whatever you tell him (either face-to-face or on the phone or e-mail) becareful how you word things. Good luck and keep us up to date!

more cowbell said...

ditto ditto DITTO the trusting your instincts -- seriously. That has never been wrong for me, when it comes to guys. It's just taken so many years for me not to discount it anymore.

Girl -- third date?! Whew! I think the "chemistry's just not there" is the best way to go. It's the truth, but doesn't sound bitchy or like a cop out. Good luck.

jen said...

i agree with jamy. have you told the guy yet?

i can't believe you went on three dates with him! you have to learn to fess up sooner when you are not interested.

Anonymous said...

One of my high school friends had the best "I'm not interested in you in that way" line that has always worked: I'm so glad I have friends like you with whom I can spend a pleasant evening. It's such a relief to not have to deal with those uncomfortable dating situations.

Guys typically pick up on the f-bomb, friend, very quickly and move on.

This could backfire, however, if he really is a serial killer because he could opt for the friendship option. I would go with the "you're nice, but no chemistry" option, and save my line for your future bad dates.