Friday, July 18, 2008

I Stole Your Girlfriend


If you hadn't realized before, it must have become pretty clear to you just last night, when she dropped the bomb.

I stole your girlfriend.

You didn't even make it difficult for me. I didn't have to try. All I had to do was have fun with her to open her eyes to exactly how inadequate your services rendered were.


I didn't set out to steal her away. In fact, it never even crossed my mind. Your relationship was your own affair. Flawed, certainly, but whose isn't?

I could have been the devil in her ear, telling her how wrong you were together. Pointing out your faults and failures. Joining in, filter off, when she did come to me with complaints or criticisms.


But I didn't.

There were even times when I took your side. Told her why I could see your point of view in this tiff, that squabble.


You told her you felt her drifting away. Yet you did nothing.

And so she drifted, out and on. And now she's ended it with you.


You tell her, "I know it's not Belle's fault, but..."

You had it right there. No but necessary.



0 comments: