Friday, August 31, 2007

Props for Pops



I reached for the ringing hand set and glanced at the Caller ID. Father. Bracing myself for bad news, I answered guardedly.

As soon as it became clear that no one was dead, I relaxed. Breathed a little easier.

It still makes me nervous when he calls, I would tell Roommate later.

I vividly remember the first time I ever got a phone call from Father. Which isn't really that remarkable, since it was only two years ago. Considering I literally made it 23 years before ever picking up the phone to hear his voice, it makes a bit of sense that I'm still inclined to think the worst when he dials me up.

Before that Stepmom had always done the calling, no matter the reason. Father got on the line only when she passed the phone his way.

When I went away to college, I talked to Stepmom at least once a week, and Father slightly less often. At first.

Then, I started thinking about my relationship with the man. Or, more precisely, the lack thereof.

I decided that he didn't know how to deal with me. From what I could tell, Father viewed women in two ways:
1. As mother-like figures to be respected.
2. As sexual objects.

As his daughter, I didn't fit into that equation. Our conversations rarely drifted from the subject of the weather. They became incredibly frustrating.

Frustrated with his lack of initiative and tired of having entire conversations that consisted of It's 110 in the shade and same here, I stopped calling him. Stopped asking for him when I called Stepmom. Stopped letting her hand the phone off.

Stepmom: Your dad just walked in. Do you want to talk to him?
Belle: Nah.

She tried to get me to talk to him. Growing less and less acquiescent, I began refusing to fake politeness to my own detriment.

Stepmom: It hurts your dad's feelings that you don't talk to him when you call.
Belle: It hurts my feelings that he never calls me. That he's never called me. All we talk about is the weather, anyway. We both know it's hot and miserable. It's always hot and miserable.

I wasn't refusing maliciously. I just didn't see the point. I'd resigned myself to the fact that I was an anomaly in my father's life. That our bond was weak, at best. That our views on life were so different the only polite conversation we could have was discussing heat factors and humidity.

Then, one night while I was working, my phone rang. Father. I stepped outside to take the call, expecting to hear that someone was gravely ill or had passed away.

But it wasn't that at all. He'd just called. To chat. To see how I'd been. To offer fatherly advice. To let me know he was thinking of me.

That was in the spring of 2005. We usually catch up with each other once or twice a month these days. Last night our conversation moved from the weather to work to the merits of fresh seafood over frozen to softball to his grandsons/my nephews. It may not sound like much to some,* but it's a helluva lot more than I ever expected.

I know you've been on your own for a while and you take care of yourself. Just keep an eye out. Be aware of your surroundings. It's your best defense... I just want you to know I'm always thinking about you.

The man, he's trying. And I have to give him props for that.


* Roommate, I'm thinking of you and your daily parental contact here. ;-)

8 comments:

Brie said...

What a great post, Belle! My dad and I have also had to work to find the right balance, so I was especially touched by how well you verbalized what that has been like for you and your dad. I hope it just keeps getting better for you guys.

Brie said...

What a great post, Belle! My dad and I have also had to work to find the right balance, so I was especially touched by how well you verbalized what that has been like for you and your dad. I hope it just keeps getting better for you guys.

The Brooklyn Boy said...

Cheers. I'm glad things have been balancing themselves in recent years.

So why fresh over frozen?

M@ said...

i know what you mean about the phone calls.

Pissed Off said...

i know this all too well. my dad never really calls me. and i don't really feel the need to go out of my way to call him...... after not talking to one another for 7 years, i suppose that once every few months is decent.

more cowbell said...

Great post. My dad is a "man of few words", and we don't talk often on the phone, but when we do, it's pretty good. I usually have to call him on his unconscious sexist/prejudicial views, but other than that...

My kids have a really surface relationship w/ their dad -- they see him once a year now, always with New Wife and Stepson in tow for the visit. But he does call them, to have long conversations about himself. It's sad. I hope he wakes up before it's too late. I'm glad your dad is trying.

great post.

honeykbee said...

Kudos for your efforts, glad they are not falling on deaf ears.

"everything in moderation" applies to parental contact, too (or so my other half tells me when I call my mommy every night)

Lavatory Lady said...

Holy Cow!! I could have written that post. The only difference is my dad and his "girlfriend" are not married, but I talk to her way more than I talk to him. The one thing I do notice is now that I have kids he can't wait to talk to them. Oh well. I would say it's a man thing, but my father-in-law talks to my husband and/or me at least once a day. I guess it's an individual thing like everything else.