Wednesday, August 29, 2007

If you can't say anything nice...


This weekend, I did something drastic.

I went into a salon*, picked a shade, and told a woman I'd never met to make my strawberry blond(ish) locks a deep shade of brunette.

The results are somewhat darker than what I'd chosen. (Read: Nearly black.)

The stylist's first words to me, before I even commented?
It's not my fault! That's the color you picked! (Way to make me feel confident and fall in love with the look, lady.)

It's a dramatic change. And, because it isn't exactly what I was going for, the experience verged on the traumatic, but I think that's reigned in now. It's definitely growing on me.

Most of my friends say they like it. Travel Buddy said it suited me. You've read some of the things Travel Buddy says to me; he's not one to mince words or give false compliments.

So, why am I telling you this? Because some people I encounter almost daily didn't listen to their mommas when they were doling out cliched advice.

(With a look of horror) Why did you do that?!?
(Incredulously) Belle, what did you do to your hair? I liked it before! When will you change it back?
(Deadpan) It makes you look older. I don't know if that's what you were going for...
(With a screwed up look on her face) You like it?! Errr... okaaaaaaay...
Essentially, I want to cut these people. And to start telling them what I really think of their hair/outfits/faces.

But two wrongs don't make a right, or whatthehellever. So I'm not. I'm just whining to a bunch of imaginary people who don't even know what my hair looks like. :)

Thanks for putting up with it.


* I'd never been to a salon before for coloring.

7 comments:

Jo said...

If it makes you feel better, it will fade. Especially if your hair was lighter before. Just wait a couple of weeks. It's always drastic at first.

Red Photography said...

Dark hair dye tends to fade a bit. In a few weeks I bet it won't be quite as dramatic. A while back I had my highlights dyed over to match the rest of my already naturally very dark hair and it was jet black for the first several weeks. It eventually faded to dark brown, however.

Regardless, I'm sure you look lovely. Some people just don't deal well with change is all...

NA said...

Eee! I've never colored my hair either. I'll need to see you first before I can dole out unsolicited (negative) opinions. ;)

The Brooklyn Boy said...

Party foul on the stylist's part, for sure. Even if she knows she fucked up, she's not supposed to give it away. Definitely recruit her for a regular poker game.

I like pretending the imaginary people actually enjoy recaps of my weekend that are way more in-depth than necessary.

vvk said...

My two cents... for what they're worth, I think the hair looks good. Not that I ever saw you before you dyed it... but it looks good now.

Anonymous said...

i bet it looks fabulous! can't wait to see. sometimes i wish i was brave enough to dye my hair. i need a change!

Pissed Off said...

i love it, so who cares what anyone else thinks!!!!