Friday, February 16, 2007

Timeline: Your relationship will self-destruct in 5… 4… 3…



After picking up my car yesterday, I went to NRA’s to get my flowers and such. He had a package from UPS. When he opened it, pink and purple hearted-tissue paper came out first, followed by a nice, cuddly blanket, a DVD of a romantic comedy, a box of home-baked goodies (including heart-shaped rice crispy treats), and a home-made card in the shape of a heart. The note read: “I hope this Valentine’s Day you know that someone far away is thinking of you and that this gift warms your heart like my thoughts of you warm mine.”

He claims she’s an ex. His last ex. That he hasn’t seen her since last May. That they broke up “this time last year” because he was moving here and she was staying put.

He offered to send the gift back or throw it away. I told him no; that would just hurt the poor girl’s feelings. She’s obviously a nice person, whether he’s telling me the truth about any of the things I mentioned above or not.

And, at this point, whether he’s telling me the truth or not doesn’t matter. What does matter is that I can’t trust him. I don’t feel good about this relationship, or non-relationship, or whatever the hell it is. And if I’m not feeling good about it, it’s time to vamp.

I promised him last night that it wouldn’t be the last time I’d see him. I’m a woman of my word, so I’ll go over there tomorrow and tell him to his face.

This shit sucks.

5 comments:

Jamy said...

Breaking up with him is the right move.

He lies and is inconsistent in his attentions. You deserve better.

It's still no fun.

Belle said...

You about summed it up right there.

Anonymous said...

Regardless of whether you are trying to break a cycle of running from relationships, it doesn't mean that you should stay in just ANY relationship. You should feel good when you're with someone, and you will when the right person comes along. Any trust/past relationship issues have a way of resolving themselves when you meet someone that you know you cannot afford to lose. Chin up. Men are like shoes. Walk all over them, and then go shopping for a new pair.

Pagan Marbury said...

There's another way of looking at it. He obviously didn't know what was in the box or he wouldn't have opened it in front of you. It really could be a crazy ex that he hasn't encouraged.

I'd give him another chance. If you like him.

Belle said...

Lawmonkey: You are right on the money. I need to trust myself a bit more when it comes to such things.

Pagan: I told him that I really didn't think he was lying about this issue for that exact reason. But, like I told him, it didn't change the fact that I spent the better part of that evening and the next day wondering if I had been the other woman all this time. Really, it all boils down to me not trusting him.