Sunday, February 18, 2007

Riding in silence sure gives you time to think

My plan was to tell NRA today, before his sister and his brother-in-law got into town and I was obliged to attend dinner with them as I’d promised. That plot was foiled when I first talked to NRA early this afternoon. The sis and hubby were already in town and with him.

Dumping over the phone wasn’t an option, and I thought it would be incredibly rude for me to make a scene in their presence or send him to dinner alone to explain my absence. So I dutifully readied myself and let NRA pick me up.

He realized when I wouldn’t agree to spend the night with him or have him sleep over that something was amiss. He asked for more information repeatedly before we met up with the family, but I insisted we’d talk about it after dinner.

Unfortunately, NRA couldn’t wait that long. He mentioned the other girl’s Valentine at dinner. Then his sister, knowing nothing of the BIG, FAT FUCKING LIE, asked a question about New Year’s Eve, which we all know is a sore subject. Apparently, that was pretty obvious, as was the fact that NRA and I had some talking to do. The sister and brother-in-law excused themselves after dinner, and I was left with NRA.

The conversation was fairly short, but there was nothing sweet about it. I told him the other girl’s Valentine filled me with questions, but that those questions were less important than the fact that I couldn’t take him at his word. As much as I’d tried to trust him, it obviously hadn’t taken. I said I couldn’t see anything progressing if I couldn’t trust him, and I couldn’t see us continuing to see one another if nothing was going to progress.

We spent the next 20 or so minutes in utter silence as he drove me home. At first, I wanted him to talk and was prepared to force out tears to encourage as much. Then I thought that was just… well, stupid. If he really didn’t want to see me go, there was nothing stopping him from at least talking to me. I wasn’t emotional or irrational. I hadn’t yelled or kept him from talking. I even asked him if he had anything to say, and he delivered an emphatic “no.”

So I stopped worrying about what he was thinking. I stopped wondering if he had anything to say to me. I realized I’d been thinking of other things and that I wasn’t really upset. If nothing else indicates I shouldn’t be with him, that alone should suffice.

5 comments:

Aileen said...

You did the right thing, as hard as it was. It is odd that he had nothing to say- but I guess it just confirms that you made the right decision.

Hope you are doing OK.

Anonymous said...

WAY TO GO! He needed to GO!

Anonymous said...

i am so sorry. despite the talks we had about this and how sure you were it needed to be done, if nothing for your sanity and self-esteem, i know it hurts like a sonofabitch. you know i'm here for you. your big sis

Anonymous said...

with all your games you sound like a right head case for a guy to figure out, when you dump a guy just do it, pick up a phone if you dont see them soon, dont wait have a meal and then deliver bad news, that sucks more. your lying if you lead someone to believe you feel differently about them and prolong telling them. In this case its better to move on and let the guy have his space now.

Belle said...

latinum:
As for my being "a right head case," well, I've never claimed I was sane or uncomplicated. You may be right. I also never left NRA to just figure me out. I communicated, as best I could, the things that needed to be communicated.

"Thanks" for the seriously-delayed and intended-to-insult advice, but I have my own set of standards that say being dumped on the phone is unacceptable... 'Do unto others...' and all that. I wouldn't have dealt well with NRA dumping me over the phone, and I try to treat people as I would like to be treated.

And there was no lying on my part, for the record. I still had feelings for NRA (still do, if you want to know the truth), but those were outweighed by the lack of trust. When he picked me up for dinner that night, he knew immediately things were off. I never once assured him things were okay; I merely told him we should talk about it after dinner.

Perhaps you would not have appreciated my tactic, but, as I said, I was trying to treat him the same way I would have liked to be treated were he the one doing the breaking up. Neither role is any fun, and I did the best my confused, inexperienced self could muster.

Thanks for reading!