Sunday, December 03, 2006

Update: Star Wars Boy

Okay, you guys have spoken. This is what you said (from a variety of sources):

"Belle, it's just a comforter. Seriously... Get over it."

"C'mon, trying to get you to play video games is a con? You used to play GTA. All he did was try to get you to participate in something he enjoys." (Busted. I'm a big ol' hypocrite.)

"It's really just dinner. Try to make it happen again. Try to get him to come over. If these things prove difficult, then you may have a problem."

"The blanket is the antithesis of all things manly. He should know, like all good nerds, that you have to follow a few rules if you're ever going to get laid. Hiding the geek gear is part of the deal."

"You're not marrying him. You're just having fun. I say just enjoy what you do, and if what you don't enjoy outweighs it, then it's time to end it. I mean, where do you get just cutting him off 'cause he's not perfect? You've had enough bad dates with bad guys to know that having some friends isn't a bad thing."

"W
hen it comes to the time of 'doing the deed' I think you should stop and exclaim that you simply cannot 'do this' under a Star Wars blanket."
(and from one friend who can legitimately speak to the subject):
Here's my take on the Star Wars issue:

I dated a guy in HS who was way into Star Wars...in that he still slept in a bunk bed...and on the top bed was his collection of Star Wars figures. (So I have experience...experience screwing under a veritable canopy of Luke, Leia and Darth Vader.) Looking back, I can see how that could be very offputting for some...but for me, it was something I found cute about him (one of his little quirks)...yes he was way into Star wars and played video games and was a huge movie buff...all somewhat nerdy qualities...but I honestly came to really like that about him...it made him him.

Ok so enough about my ex...how does that apply to you:

On one hand, I'm sure my ex has since figured out that maybe while those things were fine in HS, it doesn't really create the atmosphere of a lady trap as an adult...so in that respect, I could see how that is geeky and immature and a turn off.

On the other hand, 1) The Star Wars trilogy (I speak of the original, not the new crapola) is a quality American classic - way better than if he was into Star Trek...so it's not the worst vice...nor are video games, which you've played.
2) Perhaps he knows it's kinda dorky, but enjoys the throwback...I'm sure if anyone saw the My Little Pony and giant Meowth (Pokemon) stuffed animal on my dresser in my last apt., they might be like WTF?? But they had back stories to my youth and I didn't really give a shit. And it wasn't any reflection of my sexual prowess...GRRR Baby.
3) I'd much rather do it under a Star Wars comforter than on a silk vibrating heart shaped bed....i.e. being super experienced and suave isn't always a great thing (Think clean sexual bill of health)...so it
isn't the worst in the world that he wasn't all super intent on making it sex-appropriate (perhaps even more noble that he didn't).

My take: I realize there are other cons...but if the pros seem pretty good, embrace it as a quirk...one that makes him who he is. While my HS boyfriend was immature (and I'll admit that got old), the fact that the popular wrestling jock was kind of a secret nerd was really appealing to me...as
I'm a nerd too (and have been known to watch Star Wars upon returning home from bars). C'mon, it's kinda cute and endearing. Treat it as something to tease him playfully about right before he rams his cock into you..."The force is strong with this one..haha..Dork.......Uhhhh."

I agree with the direction it seems you're slanting - make the point about dinner (he may not realize it, esp. if he's immature/innocent) but give him a chance...cause you could end up really liking him (The pros sounded pretty good, girl.)
So I'm going to try to pull something together for us to do on my turf next weekend. You'd better believe it's going to involve going out to dinner. Other than that, I'm going to try to stop running from something real before something real even develops and give the boy a shot.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.