Friday, December 29, 2006

Jealous? Me? Never...

So things have been going pretty well with NRA Guy lately. I haven't been seeing anyone else in a few weeks, but I hadn't quite gotten around to specifically telling NRA Guy about that. Being that he’s male and will eventually, inevitably lapse into utter laziness, I figured this was the best way to draw out his attentive affection and attempts to impress me for as long as possible. I assume he really had to know he was the only one, considering I’ve either been with him or in contact with him every single day for a while now.

He made me a lovely dinner on Christmas, and when he asked me that night if there were any other guys, I told him the truth. We ended up taking things up a notch.

The next night, he came over for dinner at my place. Already a few times he had assumed I’d be available for another evening or started to make plans without asking me. (Honestly, every time he did it, that switch flipped on in my brain that said, “RUN!” But I’ve put the brakes on, told myself he’s a nice guy, a good guy who I should really give a chance.)

Okay, so he’s already making plans for the two of us without asking me. He’s already been asking if we can spend my birthday next month together. He was insistent on spending Christmas evening with me. But he hasn’t mentioned doing anything on New Year’s Eve once.

Last night, he mentioned hanging out with his buddy to usher in 2007. He didn’t give details, but it seemed clear there was no room for me in the plans. I haven’t met any of his friends yet, but he’s been talking about making that happen, and I know they know about me (well, at least one of them for sure, who participated in the leaving of a drunken voicemail a couple of weekends ago).

I had to wonder why he was being so vague about his plans on New Year’s, one of the nights where, as my roommate put it, having a pretty girl to kiss is one of the main objectives. But I wasn’t going to let it get me totally down.

Later in the evening, NRA Guy started a conversation in the worst possible way, automatically putting me on the defense.

NRA: I have to tell you something. You’re going to be so mad at me.

Belle: What? What did you do?

NRA: Just don’t be mad at me okay?

Belle: (Look indicating I wouldn’t participate in such a ridiculous promise.)

NRA: Okay… I really don’t want to tell you this….

Belle: (Look indicating he had no other option.)

NRA: Okay… (In a rush) One of our friends is coming to visit for a while, and I’m the only one with a spare room, and she’s going to stay with me for three weeks. She’s just a friend and we’ve never had sex, and I’m the only one with a spare room…. Are you okay with that? Are you mad?

Belle: (Temporarily relieved) No, that’s fine. Why would I be mad? What’s her name?

Okay, so it wasn’t until a bit later that I thought about it and realized that this only-a-friend-I’ve-never-had-sex-with (which, if you believe Harry in When Harry Met Sally, is really only because he hasn’t had the opportunity to have sex with her) might have secured an invite to this covert New Year’s Eve operation from which I’m excluded. And that she might just be the reason I’ve not been cordially invited.

I have to admit that all this is speculation on my part, as I didn’t have the presence of mind to ask when she’ll be arriving and departing. But that hasn’t stopped this feeling of overwhelming icky-ness that sort of resembles a combination of jealousy (not my favorite) and rejection (also not a fan).

So, like I said, these feelings could be products of my overactive imagination (and utter failure to avoid utter girliness in this arena), but that doesn't make me feel better.

I just talked to him, and I think I'm going to go over in a bit. Perhaps I can manage to find out what the deal is with everything without seeming like an overt bitch. Wish me luck.

1 comments:

rachaelgking said...

I just found your site today, and I have to say, I'm ALMOST sorry to be leaving work! I've started at the beginning and I'm working my way through- love it. All my coworkers want to know why I've been bursting into spontaneous guffaws and giggle fits all afternoon...

:-)